With an exciting urban setting, Seattle, WA is Washington State’s largest and most popular destination. However, the fast-paced lifestyle can take its toll after a while. If you’re in need of a relaxing and fun-filled getaway from the city, there’s nothing better than a road trip through the Cascade Mountains. You’ll be exposed to some of the Northwest’s most stunning scenery and experience attractions you’ll never forget. Just to get you started with your planning, here are some of our favorite places to stop during the best road trips from Seattle.
Thinking about embarking on one of the best road trips from Seattle? We can help! Our complimentary Vacation Guide is filled with dozens of local activities and attractions that you won’t want to miss including mountain hiking trails, events, restaurants, shopping, and more. Get your free copy today and let’s start planning your next getaway!
4 Places to See During the Best Road Trips From Seattle
1. Monroe, WA
Located just 30 miles northeast of Seattle, Monroe, WA is the perfect place to stop to fuel for the rest of your trip! There are plenty of coffee shops in this quaint town to grab a hot drink, breakfast pastry, and more.
2. National Forest Scenic Byway
The National Forest Scenic Byway winds 69-miles through the Stevens Pass Corridor from Gold Pass to Leavenworth, WA. Along the way, you’ll be introduced to incredible views of the river, waterfalls, and Cascade Mountains. If you’re looking for a place to stop and take postcard-worthy photos, Sultan’s local bridge crossing is a popular pull-over spot.
3. Anjou Bakery
Cashmere, WA is home to the highly-acclaimed Anjou Bakery, a local hot spot known for its delicious baked goods. The family-owned bakery combines European tradition with American craft that adds its own little twist to bakery favorites like scones, coffee, fruit pies, and savory sandwiches. It’s a great place to stop for lunch before arriving in Leavenworth!
4. Leavenworth, WA
This Bavarian village is the perfect final destination for short road trips from Seattle! In addition to the German-inspired downtown area, visitors will enjoy a wide variety of outdoor activities and attractions in the Cascade Mountains. Here are some of the most fun things to experience in Leavenworth that you won’t want to skip!
Stroll Through Downtown Leavenworth
Exploring Downtown Leavenworth is a must for any visitor. In addition to traditional architecture and fairy-tale worthy charm, you will discover a wide range of unique shops and restaurants. Many travelers love to browse through downtown’s museums, candy shops, and boutiques before stopping for a memorable meal at Andreas Keller or Alley Cafe. It’s a great way to spend the day together while experiencing the best that Leavenworth has to offer.
Seasonal Outdoor Activities
No matter what time of year you visit Leavenworth, there is always something to do. This makes for some of the most unique Washington state getaways every time you stay! However, planning accordingly is important since some activities are only seasonal and may not be available when you arrive. Take a look at some of the most popular things to do in the great outdoors and when you can enjoy them!
Spring and Summer Activities
Fall and Winter Activities
Attend the Exciting Events
From food festivals to seasonal celebrations, there is a wide variety of Leavenworth, WA events that you won’t want to leave off your calendars. Here are some of our most highly-anticipated festivals to mark on your calendars!
- Bavarian Icefest (January): Each Martin Luther King Jr. weekend, Leavenworth celebrates winter’s bounty with the Bavarian Icefest! Visitors will be able to enjoy a wide array of winter activities including snow sculptures, ice carving, the popular snowmobile sled pull, and a nearly endless amount of games and activities.
- Maifest (May): The Bavarian village of Leavenworth will be tapping into its German roots to bring you a full weekend of music, dancing, and fun! Of course, the main event is the traditional dancing around the Maifest pole.
- Leavenworth Oktoberfest (September-October): The Leavenworth Oktoberfest is one of the largest Bavarian events in the nation and the best in the Northwest! Visitors from all over the country flock to our village each fall to indulge in traditional festivities, fantastic food, and of course, lots and lots of beer.
- Christmas Lighting Festival (December): The yuletide event takes place each weekend in December and provides plenty of holiday cheer for visitors young and old. During this event, you can expect plenty of ways to enjoy the winter weather including sledding in the park, meetings with Santa, a holiday choir, and a traditional Gluhwein Tent that offers hot wine and cider.
Make a Pit Stop at Pine River Ranch
Whether you make Leavenworth the final destination during your Pacific Northwest road trips or just passing through, our rustic bed & breakfast is the perfect place to spend the night and rejuvenate. Our inn provides guests with peaceful ambiance without sacrificing convenience to their favorite local attractions. You and your sweetheart or travel buddies will also enjoy rustic-style guest suites with modern amenities, a piping hot breakfast delivered straight to your door, and much more! We’re the perfect alternative to the typical hotel experience and the ideal choice for unique Washington state getaways. What are you waiting for? Book your escape with Pine River Ranch today!